CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
Having fallen victim to an unprecedented humanitarian crisis since the March 2013 coup d'état, the Central African Republic is gradually recovering with the support of the international community.
The FSD [Fondation suisse de déminage – Swiss Foundation for Mine Action], who has been present in the country since February 2014, initially invested in numerous humanitarian actions in response to the needs of people affected by this security crisis through diverse projects, most notably by:
- Raising awareness of accidents related to the handling of weapons, ammunition or shot waste,
- Exhumation and burial, in Bangui, of bodies summarily buried outside cemeteries,
- Logistical traffic support with the reopening of major roads in the north of the country through the rehabilitation of the Batangafo ferry,
- Campaigns to raise awareness of the risks of armed conflict and to aid its reduction.
In line with the European Union's actions, the FSD has gradually focused its activity, as of 2015, on projects supporting the restoration of State authority, which is an essential prerequisite for the provinces’ security, the return of displaced populations and the revival of the local economy.
In this context, after having conducted two successive projects to support the organisation and administration of the Ministry of Defence (2015-2016 and 2017-2019), it is currently conducting two projects in parallel:
- a project to support the implementation of a “Garrison Army” in Bouar, in the north-west of the country. This project focuses primarily on the renovation of the Camp's infrastructure for the benefit of military personnel and families.
- a project to strengthen the administrative and logistical management capacities of the Central African Armed Forces in Bangui. This project’s essential aim is to improve the information system and know-how in the fields of civil engineering, logistics and resource management.
FSD implements this programme in close cooperation with Association FSD France https://fsdfrance.fr/ .
A special Thanks for our donors and supporters: