LAND MADE SAFE
FSD clears improvised explosive devices and other explosive remnants of war so that the displaced population can return to their villages.
FSD clears landmines and assists landmine victims in Darvoz, a remote part of Afghanistan best accessed from the Tajik side.
CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
In addition to an Armed Violence Reduction Programme, FSD helps to re-build national security institutions.
FSD provides mine action and environmental experts to the national mine action centre and advises the government on coordination of mine action.
FSD eliminates explosive remnants of war and toxic waste so that people can live in a safe environment
FSD is active in the following pillars of mine action:
- Clearance of landmines and explosive remnants of war;
- Destruction of countries’ landmine stockpiles;
- Mine-risk education;
- Victim assistance.
REDUCING ARMED VIOLENCE
FSD engages with states in post-conflict settings in order to support the process of reform and rehabilitation of the security sector:
- Reinforcement of non-combat activities of the security sector;
- Armed violence reduction;
- Small arms and light weapons destruction.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
In addition to the core operations of mine action and security sector reform, FSD continually strives to bring emerging technologies and innovative science into practical applications for humanitarian aid:
- Remote sensing with drones and satellites;
- Protect people from the negative impacts of extractive mining and the dangers of obsolete pesticides.